Do you need to be Jewish to apply?

jLiving provides affordable, quality housing primarily, but not exclusively, to members of the Jewish Community. The Association welcomes applications from everyone regardless of gender, religion, sexual orientation or disability.

Who can apply for accommodation?

Anyone who is in need of sheltered accommodation and needs support from a scheme-based Housing Manager. On occasion we are able to consider applications from younger applicants where it is considered that they will benefit from sheltered housing and related support.

Can I still apply if I own a house?

As a Registered Provider of Social Housing jLiving remains obliged to make the best use of its resources and is required to make allocations on the basis of housing need and need for assistance in accessing support. There will be instances where individuals who apply for housing will, in the opinion of the Association, have the means to secure their own accommodation either in the private sector or by means of purchase. Priority will be given to those applicants who do not have the resources to secure or obtain housing elsewhere. The Association will always try to advise, assist and signpost unsuccessful applicants to the most appropriate resource.

Do you provide meals?

No, if tenants require assistance with meals we can help arrange for Wiltshire Farm Foods (or similar) to be delivered.

Are the flats furnished?

The flats are unfurnished and tenants will be responsible for all white goods, furniture and carpets for the flat.

How do I apply?

The best way is to apply online via our website www.jLiving.org.uk, alternatively you can ring our Head Office and ask for an application form to be sent out in the post to you.

What is the process of application?

  • You are required to complete, sign and submit an application form.
  • All applications will be acknowledged by letter and an appointment to visit and complete an assessment will be arranged.
  • All applicants will undergo a process of assessment within their existing homes wherever possible.
  • Following the Home Assessment all applicants will be required to obtain a medical report from their GP. Please note that any costs incurred for such a report are to be met by the applicant/s.
  • Applications will be considered by the Associations Allocations Panel. The Panel will consider applications on a case-by-case basis and decisions will be based on the majority decision of the Panel.
  • If the applicant is successful their names will be added to the waiting list for their area of choice, and points will be calculated and awarded according to priority and level of need.
  • Applicants will be informed by letter of the outcome of their application. Unsuccessful applicants will also be informed by letter and where possible the Association will try to ‘signpost’ the applicant to alternative sources of support, advice or accommodation.

How long does it take to process my application?

All cases are assessed on an individual basis. We do require supplementary evidence such as landlord references, where applicable, and a medical report from your GP, so some cases can take longer than others. The Allocations Panel usually meet every 3 months.

How often is a Scheme Manager at the property?

Monday to Friday during core office hours. After hours there is a helpline available 24hrs a day 365 days per year.

Do you have 2-bedroom properties?

The Association has approx. 500 properties of which only 10 are 2-bed properties.

I am coming from abroad, how does that affect things?

The Association will ask for evidence that you have the right to remain in the UK or are a UK Citizen. We are also obliged to ensure that you have the means to pay your rent in full should you be accepted for a property.

Can I bring a pet?

Unfortunately jLiving does not allow pets to live at any of our Schemes.

Can I come and take a look at one of your properties before I apply?

You are able to view properties once you have been accepted onto the Associations waiting list.

What is a Housing Association?

Housing associations are non-profit making organisations that provide low-cost 'social housing' for people in need of a home. Any trading surplus is used to maintain existing housing and to help finance new homes. Although independent they are regulated by the government and can receive public funding. They help those who cannot afford to buy a home outright.

What is sheltered accommodation?

Sheltered housing is a block of self-contained studios and flats that has some shared facilities such as a communal lounge designed for older people to allow them to live independently. In most cases, they are available to people aged over 60. All properties have their own front door, kitchen and bathroom, so that residents can continue to live independently and continue to have the freedom to come and go as they please.