House Rules

House Rules





  • PAYMENT OF RENT. Is to be made in advance. Any defaults in payment will result in the offer of accommodation being withdrawn.


  • You will be supplied with keys by the Scheme Manager only when you return signed licence agreements, a signed copy of the house rules and confirmation that payments have been received. You are supplied with a key to the main entrance and a key to your room, both keys must be returned to the Scheme Manager when you vacate. The Scheme Manager has duplicate keys to each room and the Scheme Manager and officers of the Association have the right of entry (as in your licence agreement) and a charge of £10 per key will be made for any that are lost, these are only available via the Association. If you lock yourself out of your room out of office hours, there is nothing that can be done, as there is not 24 hour staffing for the Hostel.


  • MAINTENANCE AND REPAIRS. You are responsible for keeping your room clean and in good repair. You will be liable for the cost of making good any damage, which might have been caused by you or your visitors, either to the room or the building. You can not make any structural alterations within your room or to the fixtures and fittings supplied. You can display pictures in your rooms, but please only use correct picture hooks or the picture rail provided. It is your responsibility to report any faults or repairs that need to be made to the Scheme Manager or Head Office, as soon as possible, so that appropriate repairs can be carried out.


  • Central Heating and hot water is provided to all rooms. Due to fire safety regulations additional electric heaters can not be used. Electric irons may only be used in the Laundry Room. Kitchen equipment must only be used in the kitchen. No radiators should be used for the drying of washing. Beds must not be pushed up to the radiator as this causes the temperature valve not to work properly and can damage them.


  • The Association does not accept responsibility for any damage to, or loss of a tenant’s personal property. You are advised to make your own arrangements for suitable insurance cover, this is usually available as contents only insurance for rental properties.


  • You are responsible for the clearing your own rubbish to the central bin area, in Harmony Close. No rubbish from your room is to be left in communal areas.


  • BOILER ROOM. This room is strictly “Out of Bounds”.


  • AVOIDANCE OF NUISANCES. Tenants are asked not to make any demands on the Scheme Manager unless it is an emergency situation, outside of their working hours. Noise after 10.30pm should be kept to a minimum. You should also be aware that 99 Princes Park Avenue is in a residential area and should be considerate of our neighbours at all times.


  • CONSIDERATION OF FELLOW TENANTS. You will be sharing facilities and consideration for your fellow tenants is appreciated. All communal areas must be left clean and tidy after use.


  • Tenants must undertake to observe the Kashrut laws at all times and in all parts of the building. The Beth Din list is available from the Scheme Manager for reference. You must supply all the kitchenware, crockery and cutlery you need for your own use.


  • RELIGIOUS OBSERVANCE. You are particularly requested not to do anything, which might offend Orthodox tenants, and to endeavour to create an atmosphere fully in accord with Yomtovim and Shabbat. Moving in and out on Yomtovim and Shabbat is also not allowed. The lighting of candles for Shabbat or Yomtovim should be carried out in communal areas, i.e. the kitchens, not in your own rooms.


  • Smoking is not allowed inside the building at any time.


  • Illegal substances such as coke, heroine, cannabis, ecstasy etc. (this list is not exhaustive), will not be tolerated on the premises. Possession and/or use of such substances will result in steps being taken to end your tenancy and also the Metropolitan Police being called.


  • LINEN. The Association does not supply any bedding, linens or towels. It is the tenants responsibility to get what you need.


  • TV LICENCES. There is a communal TV Licence but this does not cover any other TV than the one in the Communal Lounge. You must buy your own licence to cover your individual TV viewing, whether on a TV set, mobile phone or computer streaming.


  • Tenants are asked to notify the Scheme Manager, whenever they are going to be away overnight or longer, leaving a contact number (if possible) and anticipated date of return. This is to maintain fire safety.


  • The Association is unable to permit visitors to stay within tenants room’s overnight. Any unauthorised visitors may result in action being taken against the licence of the person they have come to stay with.


  • We reserve the right to inform your referees of any breach of the terms and conditions of your licence and this includes the non-payment of any rent.


  • WINDOW DISPLAYS. Nothing is to be displayed at the windows other than the curtains and nets provided.





latest news

Read all about the latest developments at j living, as well as our 'Ask the Expert' feature full of recommendations and advice.